Translate

Saturday 6 October 2018

I can see the Screen...

Upgrading the Gameboy SP screen

Everyone  who had a Gameboy SP back in the day wondered what thee hell were Nintendo thinking with that screen ! I mean you could get an Afterburner  frontlight  for the Advance so why have a crappy screen that still needs a light source to see. 
Now it's the year 2018 and I finally have gotten round to fixing that problem.




I have my boxed Flame Red SP, a new AGS 101 Motherboard...well new to me, an AGS 101 screen, glass lense protector, DS high capacity battery and a  new sticker for the rear of the unit.



The original rear of thee unit note the AGS-001 unit number.


The top battery is the original that came with the SP the lower is a higher capacity DS battery.  To make it fit the SP however you have to trim the two tabs from the DS battery, remove the sticker and cut the plastic case. Also a small rubber grommet is needed to hold the new battery in place its never seen so higher capacity battery is a win win.




The 2 motherboards  to compare, slight differences to look at but major ones in the end. The 101 Boards is a recovered one from some chinese website, it looks well used but will do the job for me.



I'm not going into depth with the strip down as this can be found all over the internet, but this is the fully stripped SP ready for  rebuild.



First test, look at that screen and its only on settting 1....Yes that is a Repro Pokerom, I love them and collect them but please can the Repro makes STOP USING POKEMON RED !!!!! 



After the rebuild a new Sticker  for the rear to show the new improved model.



Light off...


Light ON :)

In the end it took me around 30 mins to do the whole job and it is an amazing difference. Getting your hands on the screen is easy, Fleabay is your friend for this. The motherboard replacement is getting more difficult to find but search around and you will find what you need.




Should get a better quality video me thinks ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment